Policy 412 - Expense Reimbursement
Revised May 16, 2017
The purpose of this policy is to identify school district business expenses that involve initial payment by an employee and qualify for reimbursement from the school district, and to specify the manner by which the employee seeks reimbursement.
All school district business expenses to be reimbursed must be approved by the supervising administrator. Such expenses to be reimbursed may include transportation, meals, lodging, registration fees, required materials, parking fees, tips, and other reasonable and necessary school district business-related expenses.
A. Requests for reimbursement must be itemized and follow all district procedures regarding reimbursement.
B. Automobile travel shall be reimbursed at the mileage rate set by the school board. Commercial transportation shall reflect economy fares and shall be reimbursed only for the actual cost of the trip.
C. Travel that is permitted by administration must fit the mission, vision and goals of the district.
D. Reimbursement for meals per person (including tax and tip) is as follows. The district will not reimburse the cost of alcoholic beverages.
|In State||Out of State|
IV. AIRLINE TRAVEL CREDIT
A. Employees utilizing school district funds to pay for airline travel are required to ensure that the credits or other benefits issued by the airline accrue to the benefit of the school district rather than the employee.
- To the extent an airline will not honor a transfer or assignment of credit or benefit from the employee to the school district, the employee shall report receipt of the credit or benefit to the designated administrator within 90 days of receipt of the credit or benefit.
- Reports of the receipt of an airline credit or benefit shall be made in writing and shall include verification from the airline as to the credit or benefit received. Reimbursement for airline travel travel expenses will not be made until such documentation is provided.
B. Employees who have existing credits or benefits issued by an airline based upon previously reimbursed airline travel for school district purposed will be required to utilize those credits or benefits toward any subsequent airline travel related to school district purposed, prior to reimbursement for such travel, to the extent permitted and/or feasible.
V. ESTABLISHMENT OF DIRECTIVES AND GUIDELINES
The superintendent/designee shall also develop procedures and guideline to address methods and times for submission of requests for reimbursement.
- Minnesota Statute 15.435, Airline Travel Credit
- Minnesota Statute 471.665, Mileage allowance
- Princeton Policy 214 - Out-of-State Travel by School Board Members
- Princeton Policy 412.1 - Employee Travel and Related Expenses
Implementation Date: May 1, 2008
Adopted: April 28, 2009
Revised: November 12, 2013
Revised: May 19, 2015
Revised May 16, 2017