Policy 521 - Student Disability Nondiscrimination
The purpose of this policy is to protect students with disabilities from discrimination on the basis of disability and to identify and evaluate learners who, within the intent of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), need services, accommodations, or programs in order that such learners may receive a free appropriate public education.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
A. Students with disabilitis who meet the criteria of Paragraph C. below are protected from discrimination on the basis of a disability.
B The responsibility of the school district is to identify and evaluate learners who, within the intent of Section 504, need services, accommodations, or programs in order that such learners may receive a free appropriate public education.
C. For this policy, a learner who is protected under Section 504 is one who:
1. has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of such person’s major life activities; or
2. has a record of such an impairment; or
3. is regarded as having such an impairment.
D. Learners may be protected from disability discrimination and be eligible for services, accommodations, or programs under the provisions of Section 504 even though they are not eligible for special education pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
Persons who have questions or comments, should contact the Director of Student Services, 706 1st St. Princeton, MN 55371 phone 763-389-6191. This person is the school district’s Americans with Disabilities Act/Section 504 coordinator. Persons who wish to make a complaint regarding a disability discrimination matter may use the accompanying Student Disability Discrimination Grievance Report Form. The form should be given to the ADA/Section 504 coordinator.
- 42 U.S.C. Ch. 126 (Equal Opportunity for Individuals with Disabilities)
- 29 U.S.C. § 794 et seq. (Rehabilitation Act of 1973, § 504)
- 34 C.F.R. Part 104 (Section 504 Implementing Regulations)
- Princeton Public School Policy 402 (Disability Nondiscrimination)
Adopted: May 11, 2004
Revised: August 10, 2010
Revised: October 21, 2014
Revised: August 18, 2015
Reviewed: March 21, 2017
Revised: November 19, 2019
Revised: May 17, 2022