Policy 534 - Food Service Meal Account Maintenance
Revised: August 15, 2017
The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for meal account maintenance in the provision of meals to students.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
A. It is the policy of this district to provide nutritious meals to students to promote healthy eating habits and enhance learning.
B. It is the policy of this district to offer breakfast and lunch meals that meet state and federal guidelines.
C. It is the policy of the district to develop procedures that allows for prepaid lunch accounts and collection of payments.
D. Families may apply for free/reduced-price meal benefits anytime during the school year. Meal applications are distributed to all families in the school/district prior to the school year. In addition, applications are available at all school locations and the District Center during normal business hours. If household income or size change, families can apply for meal benefits anytime during the school year.
III. DEVELOPMENT OF DISTRICT PROCEDURES FOR PAYMENTS, CHARGING OF MEALS NOTIFICATION AND COLLECTION OF UNPAID DEBT
The Director of Business Service shall be responsible for the development and maintenance of procedures related to meal service charges and collection of unpaid debt.
IV. PAYMENT, CHARGING, AND COLLECTION OF MEAL GUIDELINES
A. The district shall establish a method in which families can prepay for meals.
B. The district recognizes the parent/legal guardian is responsible for the payment of school meals and not the student.
C. The district will not shame students in order to collect unpaid debt.
D. The district will make every reasonable effort to collect unpaid debt before sending to a collection agency.
V. COMMUNICATION OF POLICY
This policy and any pertinent supporting information shall be provided in writing to students and families at the start of each school year.
- Minn. Stat. § 124D.111, Subd.4
- 42 U.S.C § 1751 es seq. (Healthy and Hunger-Free Kids Act)
- 7 C.F.R. § 210 et seq. (School Lunch Program Regulations)
- 7 C.F.R § 220.8 (School Breakfast Program Regulations)
- USDA Policy Memorandum SP 46-2016, Unpaid Meal Charges: Local Meal Charge Policies (2016)
- USDA Policy Memorandum SP 47-2016, Unpaid Meal Charges: Clarification on Collection of Delinquent Meal Payments (2016)
- USDA Policy Memorandum SP 23-2017, Unpaid Meal Charges: Guidance and Q&A
Adopted: June 20, 2017
Revised: August 15, 2017