Policy 607 - Organization of Grade Levels
The purpose of this policy is to address the grade level organization of schools within the school district.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- The policy of the school district is to address the groupings of grade levels as recognized in Minn. Stat. § 120A.05, as follows:
- Early Childhood Program: Birth through age 5
- Family Center Birth through age 5
- Elementary Schools - Grades K through 5
- Primary School Grades K-2
- Intermediate School Grades 3-5
- Secondary Schools - Grades 6-12
- Middle School: Grades 6 through 8
- High School: Grades 9 through 12
- Area Learning Center (ALC) Grades 9 through 12
- Princeton Online Academy Grades 9 through 12
- Educational Options Grades K through 12
- The superintendent may seek school board approval to administer certain programs on a non-graded basis or a design different from that indicated. Program proposals that seek school board approval must meet all state requirements and reflect the rationale for the modification.
- The school district may request documentation that verifies a student falls within the school’s minimum and maximum age requirements for admission to publicly funded prekindergarten, preschool, kindergarten, or grades 1 through 12. Documentation may include a passport, a hospital birth record or physicians’ certificate, a baptismal or religious certificate, an adoption record, health records, immunization records, immigration records, previously verified school records, early childhood screening records, Minnesota Immunization INformation Connection records, or an affidavit from a parent.
- “Kindergarten” means a program designed for students five years of age on September 1 of the calendar year in which the school year commences that prepares students to enter first grade the following school year.
- “Prekindergarten” means a program designed for students younger than five years of age on September 1 of the calendar year in which the school year commences that prepares students to enter Kindergarten the following school year.
- Minn. Stat. § 120A.05, Subds. 9, 10a, 11, 13, 17 (Public Schools)
- Minn. Stat. § 120A.020, Subd. 4 (Verification of Age or Admission to Public School)
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.02, Subd. 2 (General Powers of Independent School Districts)
Revised: April 15, 2014
Reviewed: October 20, 2015
Revised: January 17, 2017
Revised: February 19, 2019
Revised: November 17, 2020